You may be an expert at creating a winged eyeliner or smokey eye makeup look, but do you find that your base never looks as fresh and radiant as you would like it to? Your pre-makeup prep could be the reason. “Skin that has been prepped well before applying makeup not only makes the skin more smooth for the application of foundation, but it also helps the makeup to stay on for much longer,” explains Mumbai-based celebrity makeup artist Shraddha Naik. “If you skip your skincare routine, your makeup will end up looking uneven, patchy and will wear off sooner.” She shares the most important skin prep tips you should keep in mind for a flawless, seamlessly blended finish.
- Always start with a fresh canvas. Cleanse your skin with a good cleanser to maintain your skin’s health and remove any kind of excess oil, grime and toxin buildup. I really like the Polish Up Brightening & Exfoliating Face Cleanser because of how gentle it is on your skin and how it effectively removes dirt and impurities.
- Using a toner on your face balances the pH level of your skin and shrinks your pores which helps for smoother base makeup application. I recommend the Glow Potion Essence Toner to minimise your pores and hydrate your skin at the same time.
- Make sure that you always use a nourishing moisturiser or face oil to create a base for your makeup. I highly recommend the Radiance Beauty Boosting Face Elixir for normal to dry skin — it’s my personal favourite. If you have combination or oily skin, you can use the Luminous Hydrating & Skin Clearing Face Gel Serum.
- Next, use a face roller or a gua sha stone — you can pick between the rose quartz and jade tools by RAS — to effectively promote lymphatic drainage and reduce puffiness and fine lines.
- As the last step for your face prep, use a primer to fill in your pores and smooth out blemishes which will help seal in and create the ideal base for your foundation.
- Finally, complete your skin prep by using a lip scrub to avoid chapped lips. Always follow it up with a lip balm like Oh-So-Luxe Liquid Lip Balm to plump and nourish your lips and ensure that your lipstick goes on smoothly.