Our face is in constant activation with eating, talking, blinking, speaking, yawning, etc. and we have so many different communications through areas of tension. Hence, facial nerves and muscles are in a constant hustle. When we are able to release some of that tension through the face, we allow our skin to do a huge part of its essential functions, which is to help eliminate waste and detoxify.
Here comes the role of facial tools. While these tools - Face Roller and Gua Sha - both work on the principle of improving blood flow under the skin and enhancing lymphatic drainage, they work at different levels. So, how to know what to opt for?
- Shape and Modality: the first difference is obviously the shape, usage of the tool as one is on a handle to roll gently on the skin to, and the other one is shaped and contoured to be held in the hand as it massages along the skin’s surface.
- Time Game: The facial roller can be a much more convenient and quick option to stimulating blood flow and draining puffiness. If you have anything around 5 minutes, a simple roller massage can give you the ‘ready-to-go’ glow. While the guasha is a technically followed procedure to go deeper while spending more time in really indulging into the ritual of skincare.
- Purpose of Use: For conditions that may need more frequency in use, like calming the skin from a heated flush or flared rash or simply de-puffing your face, the cooling effect of the roller may feel more comfortable to use. GuaSha can make more of a difference when working to release deep-set wrinkles or stimulate movement with deeper cystic conditions. It is more effective than the roller for sculpting facial features like cheekbone and jawline.
While this is a quick guide to decide on what tool to pick for your skincare ritual, in reality the similarities between the two actually outweigh the differences. They both:
- Aid in lymphatic drainage
- Increase skin firmness and reduces small wrinkles and expression lines
- Eliminate toxins
- Tighten pores since crystal remains cold even when in contact with skin
- Improves blood circulation and skin tone
- Reduce puffiness